Oakland Community College
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE: To work collaboratively with the Executive Director of Health Professions/Dean of Nursing and department faculty providing organization, operation, supervision, evaluation, and revision of the dental hygiene program. This full-time administrative position includes being responsible for all applicable accreditation commission standards or agency regulations as well as alignment with programmatic outcomes. The Program Director is also required to implement, monitor, and uphold all applicable policies and procedures to ensure effective functioning of the department. The position is expected to work in a multi-culturally diverse working environment.
This description is intended to indicate the types of duties and responsibilities requested of the employee assigned this title. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that may be required:
1. Organizes and administers the educational program to provide continuity of learning objectives.
2. Collaborates with faculty to develop program’s master plan of education, designating short- and long-term goals and outcomes.
3. Responsible for all applicable accreditation commission standards or agency regulations required to achieve and maintain program accreditation as well as alignment with programmatic outcomes.
4. Assesses, implements, monitors, and upholds all applicable policies and procedures to ensure effective program operation.
5. Ensures program goals are fulfilled by working with faculty on curriculum development, evaluation, and revision.
6. Involved in the recruitment of faculty and coordinates program/department in-service training.
7. Conducts periodic assessment of program effectiveness through surveys of graduate students and provides input into faculty evaluation.
8. Facilitates maintenance of all clinical records by periodically meeting with the clinical coordinator, clinical instructors, and/or supervisors.
9. Maintains current knowledge of their professional discipline and educational methodologies.
10. Assumes leadership role in development and structure of the program admissions criteria for applicants; directs the student selection processes.
11. Assures correct scheduling and registration of students each period.
12. Coordinates and assists with student orientations.
13. Coordinates external clinical rotations.
14. Coordinates, participates, and documents regular staff meetings.
15. Serves on committees consistent with goals of program, sponsoring institution, and advancement of the profession.
16. Participates in formulation of appropriate program budget planning.
17. Provides student guidance for program success, as needed.
18. Facilitates and documents accurate communication of program policies and procedures to students.
19. Establishes appropriate communication and feedback procedures for student concerns.
20. Maintains confidentiality in all student matters.
21. Performs other related duties, as assigned.
22. Ability to work additional hours, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Proficiency in curriculum development, program administration, program evaluation, instruction, student supervision, and academic advising
· Previous experience preparing for a dental hygiene accreditation site-visit including conducting and preparing a written self-study document.
· Skilled in written and verbal communication
· Knowledge of current advancement in dental hygiene curricula and technology.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
EDUCATION: Must be a dental hygienist who is a graduate of a program accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and possess a master’s or higher degree or a bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene and currently working toward a master’s degree, or a dentist who has background in education and the professional experience necessary to understand and fulfill the program goals.
EXPERIENCE: Five years of full-time experience as a registered dental hygienist or dentist in the dental/dental hygiene profession. Professional experience necessary to understand and fulfill the program goals.
CERTIFICATION: Registered Dental Hygienist or D.D.S. License
Local Anesthesia Administration Certification
Nitrous Oxide Administration Certification
Preferred Years Of Experience:3 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :